Do you remember when you first bought your storage shed and everything was spotless and immaculately organized. You had easy access to all of your gardening tools and you didn’t have to climb a mountain to reach your favorite holiday decorations. If that dream image of your shed has transformed into a nightmare of mess and clutter then it’s probably a good sign that you need to scale back…a lot.
Since getting started can often seem completely overwhelming, here are some basic tips on how to organize your shed.
1. Start Small. You don’t have to tackle the whole thing in one day. Start with one box at a time, one shelf at a time, one corner at a time and progress from there. You will surprised at how much you accomplish when you set small goals and work from there.
2. Schedule time. Pick a day and set the timer for 30 min. It is amazing how much you get done when you are trying to beat the clock. If you are more ambitious, schedule a decluttering weekend with your family (or with some very close friends who might happen to owe you a favor).
3. The Keeps, the Keep Nots, and the Question Marks. Separate your clutter into three separate piles:
1. The things you regularly use and want to keep.
2. The things you don’t want or need, but have been procrastinating getting rid of and
3. The items that don’t necessarily belong in either of the first two categories.
Let some time pass before you get rid of the question mark items. If you use them at all after 3 months then consider keeping them, if not than don’t bring the items back into your storage shed.
4. Donate. Sometimes it’s easier taking things out of your storage shed if you know that it might have a use in another home.
5. Keep it Clean! Once you have cleared everything out, keep the space clutter free by designating a spot for each type of item (i.e. garden equipment, seasonal decorations, etc). Install shelves or hooks to free up floor space. Store the items that you need most often near the front or at whatever place gives you the easiest access.
Even though decluttering your shed can seem like a massive undertaking at first, the sense of relief you get in the end is worth every moment you spent on the job. Do you have any technical questions about your storage unit? Don’t hesitate to contact us!
Photo Credit: loungerie via Compfight cc